Modern lifestyle has increased the risk of various physical and psychological health problems. The unhealthy lifestyle of people in the modern world has exposed them to various illnesses, disabilities and even deaths. The various metabolic diseases that are a result of these modern lifestyles are obesity, hypertension, cancer, cardiovascular problems, diabetes and other health problems. A proper discussion of the impact of the various aspects of the modern lifestyle on our health has been done in the below article. It has been found that millions of deaths across the globe are occurring due to the choices of the modern lifestyle. Hence, it is only important to make appropriate changes to the modern lifestyle to reduce the negative impact on health. Regular exercise, a balanced diet and improved sleep patterns are some of the effective steps that can be taken to improve health outcomes.
Keywords: Lifestyle; health; diseases; sleep; diet; smoking
- Balwan WK and Kour S. “Lifestyle Diseases: The Link between Modern Lifestyle and threat to public health”. Saudi J Med Pharm Sci 7.4 (2021): 179-84.
- Chattu VK., et al. “The global problem of insufficient sleep and its serious public health implications”. In Healthcare 7.1 (2018): 1.
- Elflein J. Number of deaths attributable to tobacco worldwide in 2019, by region and sex (2023).
- Elflein J. Share of adults worldwide satisfied with their sleep in 2020, by country (2023).
- Macia L, Galy O and Nanan RKH. “Modern Lifestyle and Health: How Changes in the Environment Impacts Immune Function and Physiology”. Frontiers in Immunology (2021): 4516.
- Man AW, Li H and Xia N. “Impact of lifestyles (diet and exercise) on vascular health: oxidative stress and endothelial function”. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity (2020).
- Tobaldini E., et al. “Short sleep duration and cardiometabolic risk: from pathophysiology to clinical evidence”. Nature Reviews Cardiology 16.4 (2019): 213-224.
- WHO. Alcohol (2022).
- WHO. Tobacco (2022).
- Wilson N., et al. “Achieving healthy and sustainable diets: a review of the results of recent mathematical optimization studies”. Advances in Nutrition 10.Supplement_4 (2019): S389-S403.