Pharmacognostic and Physicochemical Appraisal of Vasaka (Justicia adhatoda Linn.) Leaf
Dr. Tushar P. Dukre*, Sanket P Ambre, Jayesh J Walunj and Gaurav R Jadhav
August 25, 2023
DOI : 10.56831/PSMPH-03-086
Pharmacognosy was initially described by C. A. Sydler as the study of therapeutic plants or products. The physical, chemical, and biological properties are used in these investigations. Adulsa (or Vasaka) is the popular name for the plant Justicia adhatoda (Linn.), which is a member of the Acanthaceae family. Adhatoda leaves have a long history of usage in Ayurvedic medicine, mostly for respiratory conditions. In the current pharmacognostic study of vasaka (leaves), major pharmacognostic techniques such as macroscopy, microscopy, surface preparation, powder characteristics, and physicochemical characteristics were used to identify the presence of trichomes and vascular bundles as well as moisture content, ash values, and extractive values in various parameters.
Keywords: Justicia adhatoda; Pharmacognosy; Morphology; and Microscopy
- Padmini Shukla and Shashi Alok. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry-I; Nirali Prakashan (2021): 1.1.
- SB Gokhale and CK Kokate. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry-I; Nirali Prakashan (2019): 3.2-3.3.
- G Jayapriya and F Gricilda Shoba. “GC-MS analysis of bio-active compounds in methanolic leaf extracts of Justicia adhatoda (Linn.)”. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 4.1 (2015): 113-117.
- Pharmacology and Morphology of Some Species of Adhatoda vasaka. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Applications 6.4 (2021): 276-283.
- Gauri Badgujar and Samiksha Bhagat. “Pharmacology and Morphology of Some Species of Adhatoda vasaka”. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Applications 6.4 (2021): 276-283.
- M Prathapa Reddy and TR Shantha. “Pharmacognostical and Physicochemical Evaluation on the Flowers of Justicia adhatoda L.”. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 7.2 (2015): 73-90.
- Dhankhar S. “Aegle marmelos (Linn.) Correa: A source of Phytomedicine”. J MediPlants Res 5.9 (2010): 1497-1507.
- Santosh Kumar Singh., et al. “Pharmacognostic study and phytochemical screening of leaf of Adhatoda vasica (Acanthaceae)”. Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies 2.4 (2014): 29-31.
- R Nithyatharani and US Kavitha. “Phytochemical Analysis of the Leaves of Adhatoda Vasica”. IJCRT 6.1 (2018): 451-454.
- Thokchom P Singh and Okram M Singh. “Adhatoda vasica Nees: Phytochemical and Pharmacological Profile”. The Natural Products journal 1 (2011): 29.39.
- R Parthasarathy and R Ilavarasan. “Pharmacognostical Studies on Thespesia populnea Bark”. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 1.2 (2009): 128-131.
- Khandelwal KR. “Practical Pharmacognosy (Techniques and Experiments)”. Nirali Prakashan (2008): 09-19.
- Satish Kumar BN and Gobinda Mohan Behera. “Pharmacognosy, Phytochemistry and Pharmacology of Annona squamosa Linn”. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 3.3 (2011): 93-102.
- Tushar P Dukre, Ganesh N Wadekar and Harshad B Pawar. “Pharmacognostic and Phytochemical Evaluation of Herbal Plant: Alangium lamarkii”. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 14.2 (2022): 65-68.
- Kokate CK. “Practical Pharmacognosy”. 3rd edition, Vallabh Prakashan (1994): 107.
- Gupta Abhishek and Joshi Apurva. “Pharmacognostic Study of Justicia adhatoda Linn. Leaf”. International Journal of Herbal Medicine 1.6 (2014): 01-04.
- Khandelwal KR. “Practical Pharmacognostic Techniques and Experiments”. Nirali Prakashan (2010): 12.30-13.32.
- Kokate CK, Purohit AP and Ghokale SB. “Pharmacognosy”. 39th edition, Nirali Prakashan 13 (2007): 536-537.